BRAMPTON, ON (October 1, 2021) – October is Small Business Month, and the City of Brampton celebrates local entrepreneurs whose ideas, passion and determination help make the community competitive and prosperous.
Throughout October, the Brampton Entrepreneur Centre (BEC), as part of the Economic Development Office, is hosting a full schedule of virtual programming and networking events for the local business community covering topics like marketing, design tools, bookkeeping, incorporating and more. More details and event registration can be found at www.brampton.ca/BEC.
Also in October and in honour of Small Business Month, BEC is launching the Business Milestone Program. Small businesses with ten or less employees who have pivoted and showed resilience during the COVID-19 pandemic, are celebrating an anniversary or milestone or are doing something special or unique are invited to share their story with BEC at email@example.com.
Successful small businesses are essential to a thriving city, helping to create jobs, boost the economy and enhance local neighbourhoods. COVID-19 has greatly impacted the greater Brampton community, and small businesses – the backbone of cities – have been hit hard by the pandemic
Residents are encouraged to explore, select and buy local, and to keep the following tips in mind:
- Consider supporting local businesses and promoting your favourite spots on social media! For a full list of small Brampton businesses, visit the Support Local Brampton website. Leave them online reviews to refer others. Engage with local businesses through social media accounts and show support for Brampton businesses using a Support Local graphic and the hashtag #SupportLocalBrampton. A Support Local media pack can be downloaded here.
- Explore all the must-eat-at spots in Brampton with the Brampton Food Guide, download your copy here.
- Your favourite local businesses are open, show your vaccine receipt and mask up to easily and safely access gyms, hair salons, restaurants for indoor dining and more!
- Refer friends and family by word of mouth.
For more information on supporting local, visit the Support Local Brampton website.
Economic Recovery Strategy and Support Local
Since the onset of the pandemic, the City has remained committed to supporting the recovery and resilience of its small business community. In May 2020, Brampton City Council endorsed Brampton’s Economic Recovery Strategy to move forward with restarting the local economy. The Strategy aims to bring resiliency and competitive advantage to Brampton’s economy through advancing immediate and long-term actions in line with its four corner stones: Innovation, Technology and Entrepreneurship, Investment, Infrastructure, and Arts, Culture and Tourism.
“This Small Business Month, we are proud to recognize our local entrepreneurs who bring so much to our community, including character, jobs, competitiveness and prosperity. I call on all Brampton residents to join us in celebrating and supporting our local small businesses, not only in October but always, especially following the ongoing closures of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are all in this together.”
- Patrick Brown, Mayor, City of Brampton
“Small businesses have been hit particularly hard by the COVID-19 pandemic, and Small Business Month provides a great opportunity for us to recognize those local to Brampton who have shown incredible resilience and ingenuity over the past months. I encourage our small businesses to take advantage of the programming provided by BEC throughout October, and look forward to hearing their stories through the Business Milestone Program.”
- Martin Medeiros, Regional Councillor, Wards 3&4; Chair, Economic Development, City of Brampton
“Small businesses are the backbone of our community, and they are essential to the success of our local economy. This Small Business Month, join us in celebrating their invaluable contributions to Brampton, and be sure to support, gift, dine and exercise local.”
- Paul Vicente, Regional Councillor, Wards 1&5; Vice Chair, Economic Development, City of Brampton
“At the City of Brampton, staff are dedicated to supporting our greater community and local businesses as we recover, together, from the COVID-19 pandemic. Our Economic Development team is excited to provide programming for our local small businesses throughout October, and to launch the Small Business Milestone Program in recognition of Small Business Month.”
- David Barrick, Chief Administrative Officer, City of Brampton
As one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada, Brampton is home to more than 700,000 people and 75,000 businesses. People are at the heart of everything we do. We are energized by our diverse communities, we attract investment, and we are embarking on a journey to lead technological and environmental innovation. We partner for progress to build a healthy city that is safe, sustainable and successful. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Learn more at www.brampton.ca.
Senior Advisor, Media Relations, City of Brampton
905.874.2143 | firstname.lastname@example.org