Friday, Sep 03 2021
BRAMPTON, ON (September 3, 2021) – Yesterday, Site Selection Magazine, an internationally circulated business publication covering corporate real estate and economic development, announced its list of Canada’s Best Locations, with the City of Brampton landing in the top 20.
With this ranking, the City’s Economic Development Office has been recognized by Site Selection Magazine as one of Canada’s best locations to invest. The City continues to focus its economic development efforts on the City’s key sectors: Innovation and Technology, Advanced Manufacturing, Food and Beverage Processing and Health and Life Sciences. In 2020, there was an added emphasis on Business Retention and Expansion as part of the City’s FDI Strategy. Brampton is the second fastest-growing city in Canada with a population close to 700,000. With a median age of 36, Brampton’s young, educated, and diverse labour force of 320,000 represents over 234 cultures speaking 115 languages.
Investment is a key cornerstone of the City’s Economic Recovery Strategy, approved by Brampton City Council in May, 2020. The continued evolution of the City’s Innovation District is another key piece of the strategy. The Economic Recovery Strategy aims to bring resiliency and competitive advantage to the Brampton economy, and will help the City move forward from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Brampton continues to attract significant investment in the city, with the following notable projects being announced recently:
- Alectra: in June, Alectra announced its plan for the construction of a brand-new sustainable operations centre located at 200 Kennedy Road South in Brampton.
Within one kilometre of the new location are 78 businesses in the retail sector and 55 in accommodation and food services. In bringing 400 employees to the area – two and a half times the number of jobs at the current site – Alectra will help strengthen Brampton’s retail and food businesses in near distance of the operations centre, supporting the city’s local economic recovery and growth in the future.
- Coke Canada Bottling: In December 2020, Coke Canada Bottling announced new investment of $12.8 million in the Coke Canada Bottling Brampton facility. This investment will be used to convert existing line manufacturing capabilities to meet the need for more product innovation for consumers.
- Maple Lodge Farms: Earlier this year, Maple Lodge Farms announced that they plan to expand their Brampton plant by 250,000 square feet, creating an additional 300 jobs. They also have plans for a new site for the Chicken Shop retail location, creating 100 more jobs.
The full results and more information about the rankings are available here.
“Brampton is a City of Opportunities, and with our prime location on Canada’s Innovation Corridor and our competitive talent pool, we provide an optimal location for global businesses to invest. We are proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Best Locations by Site Selection Magazine, and welcome all potential site selectors to learn more about what makes us a world-class city of the future.”
– Patrick Brown, Mayor, City of Brampton
“Moving forward from the effects of the pandemic, investment will play a key role in bringing competitive advantage and resiliency to Brampton’s economy as we focus on recovery. Brampton means business,
and we are proud that Site Selection Magazine has recognized our city as one of Canada’s Best Locations to invest.”
– Martin Medeiros, Regional Councillor, Wards 3&4; Chair, Economic Development, City of Brampton
“Investment is a key cornerstone of the City’s Economic Recovery Strategy, and Brampton is dedicated to positioning itself as an innovative city and prime investment location for businesses across Canada and around the world. We welcome Site Selection’s recognition of our world-class city as one of Canada’s Best Locations. With our skilled talent pool, location on the Innovation Corridor and a dedicated Economic Development team, Brampton is ready to welcome investment in our community.”
– Paul Vicente, Regional Councillor, Wards 1&5; Vice-Chair, Economic Development and Culture, City of Brampton
“At the City of Brampton, we are dedicated to supporting the Term of Council Priority: Brampton is a City of Opportunities, and we continue to establish ourselves as an optimal location for businesses to invest. Congratulations to our team in the Brampton Economic Development Office for this recognition as one of Canada’s Best Locations. As we move forward from the COVID-19 pandemic, we are focused on recovery for our city, and will continue to bring resiliency to our economy by securing ongoing investment.”
– David Barrick, Chief Administrative Officer, City of Brampton